Friday, July 22, 2011

Saturday: I think I'm dreaming... (7/16/11)

On Saturday, I hopped on the Bolt Bus in DC which delivered me safely (the bus driver was only stopped by the cops once...) in NYC, where I met Jack.  He had already been there for a day on business and had done some cookbook power shopping before I got there.  We're up on the High Line (more on that later) and the hotel we stayed in is the one with the round windows - the Dream Downtown.  It should be noted that I dreamed non-stop about the (Dream Downtown) hotel and other aspects of our trip from Friday night straight through Sunday night.  It's sort of like a ridiculous version of a Stephen King short story.  It's also a pretty clear indicator that I really, really needed to get out of the house.

After doing some shopping, we retired (being by far the oldest people there) to a table by the pool to people-watch.  The hotel has two sections that rise above the pool on either side.  We stayed on the cheap side (on the right in this photo) in the next to top floor, furthest to the left (the lighting wire crosses our window/micro-balcony in this photo).  The people-watching was far more interesting than is represented in this photo.  Let's leave it at that.

Jack persuaded me to post the most mild of the people-watching...  These two girls were dressed identically (with fanny packs), and wandering around for hours.  We just couldn't figure out how they fit in with the whole crowd.  Until they wandered over to our table and offered to give us massages.  Apparently they had some takers.

This is the view of the Saturday night party from our tiny balcony.  I didn't catch a photo of the pool on Sunday night, but it was easily four times as crowded.  See the circles on the bottom of the pool?

The pool is above the rear of the lobby.  When you look up, you can see the swimmers from underneath.  I chose not to swim.

But the light shimmering through the water into the lobby was just stunning.  Jack said there was a photo shoot going on in this area before I arrived.  Circles, circles everywhere...

This was our little room, which was actually quite nice.  We're thinking of contacting the hotel to see what kind of mattresses they use, which are much dreamier than our current mattress at home...


No comments:

Post a Comment