Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tuesday: Bird down (5/22/12)


This is the second time in two weeks that we've had a Downy Woodpecker fly into the same living room window.  The first one died very quickly, unfortunately.  This one I found sitting lopsided, but it righted itself after a few minutes and was blinking its eyes.  It was around 9:00 in the morning, so I didn't think I could call the wild bird store I frequent yet.  I went online and read that if it doesn't fly away I should do something to keep it warm and provide a certain water/sugar/salt mixture.  So I did.

We've had constant Downies on the peanut feeder, so I had wondered if we have nests around.  (I HATE the way this pole leans every which way.  Must figure out how to fix that.)

I had loved that when you drive around a curve approaching the house, you can see through the courtyard doorway to the trees on the other side where the birdfeeders happen to be.  Hello.  The birds can see from the feeders out the courtyard doorway.  Up go two bird stickers.  Bummer.  The windows being really dirty was not a sufficient deterrent.  The good news is that he suddenly flew away 30 minutes later.  And I had since called the bird store and got someone who had saved an abused pigeon and nursed it for four months before releasing it, so I obviously called the right place!

No comments:

Post a Comment