Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thursday: Chimney work (9/23/10)

Further work is going into creating the new fireplace wall in the living room, and below, the chimney extensions on the outside.

And on the outside...  So far they've been using stone that was either removed from the walls or fireplace earlier, or from a stash of stones we've always had in the garden, but will likely need to purchase more.  The darker colored mortar is strong enough to hold the stones in place while it sets up, and is then topped off with some lighter colored mortar which better matches the old mortar.

This is one of those things I've always wished I knew how to do myself.  I have really had to control my nitpickier instincts on this in particular lest I unfairly irritate the stone mason.  Or as one friend put it, we find in the Washington Post Metro section, "Homeowner critically injured by stonework accidentally dropped from scaffolding."


No comments:

Post a Comment